Best AI Tools for Small Businesses

 

Best AI Tools for Small Businesses

You know you could use AI tools to save time (and money) in your small business. But with thousands of AI tools available, how do you figure out which ones to use and how to use them? As a business owner myself, I struggle with that question.

I've searched sites like FutureTools.io for ideas but quickly got overwhelmed. When I wrote this article, that site lists nearly 2,500 AI tools, which will likely be higher when you read this.

Perhaps sheer overwhelm is part of the reason AI adoption among small businesses, especially very small businesses, remains relatively low. A recent Bredin SMB Pulse survey of business owners found that:

27% of small businesses (20 to 99 employees) are actively using AI, and 19% are piloting it

8% of tiny companies (fewer than 20 employees) report actively using AI, and another 7% are piloting it

Nearly 40% of mid-sized companies (100 to 500 employees) are actively using AI, and 28% are piloting it

Small businesses must find tools that work for them if they want to keep up. So, to find out what tools entrepreneurs are using, I queried members of the AI Copy Club community and asked them to share their favorite AI tools for saving time in their businesses. Here's what they use and recommend.

AI tools for small business owners

1.     Content distribution and design, customer service

AI tools have been instrumental in freeing up hours for entrepreneur Kym Tolson, thus allowing her to concentrate on growth, client engagement, and strategic planning in her business.

"Canvahas has been a transformative tool for my business, particularly in graphic design. Previously, crafting professional-level graphics for social media and marketing efforts was a substantial time commitment, often stretching over several hours each week," she says. "Now, thanks to Canvas's intuitive interface and AI enhancements, I can produce eye-catching graphics quickly and efficiently, reducing what used to take hours into mere minutes. This significant time-saving aspect allows my team and I to focus more on other critical business areas."

Another tool she loves is Repurpose.io, a repurposing and distribution platform for video & audio creators, which has streamlined her content distribution process.

"Before its integration, manually uploading and adapting content for various social media platforms was a four- to five-hour weekly endeavor," she explains. "With Repurpose.io, this task is fully automated, enabling instant content redistribution across multiple channels. This automation conserves time and amplifies my content's reach effortlessly."

Finally, she likes Pickaxe's customer support tool, which allows users to create AI-powered tools and embed them into their websites. Tolson uses it to create bots within her membership communities; the bots address routine questions from members, a task that previously required a notable time commitment.

She says, "This automation has significantly reduced the time I need to respond to member inquiries, allowing me to focus more on enhancing the value and experience within these communities."

2. Creative help

Midjourney is the first AI image generator that works on prompts. She explains, "I use it to generate images to be used as assets in my design work. Good AI imagery is hard to find, and working with the bot to curate usable images requires skill. As an illustrator, I could draw these pictures with software, but it would often take hours for one image. Using AI cuts that time down to mere minutes."

Bayless likes using Adobe Firefly to generate alternative color palettes. "I can take a single image or design and instantly create various options with the color variation tool. This helps create surface patterns or stickers that benefit from various colors."

3. Content writing

Shelley Hunter says her adoption of AI is a story in "three parts: resistance, acceptance, and adoption." She wrote over 400 blog posts under a former personal brand, but she recently left the company–and that content– behind.

She wanted to start a new blog but did not want to produce new content because, as she said, "I'm a slow writer. I have no problem communicating verbally. Whether conducting interviews, being interviewed, talking on live radio or TV, or filming a video, I make quick observations and can easily articulate my thoughts. But when it comes to writing, I obsess over crafting perfect sentences, minding all grammar rules, adding purposeful transitions, and more. It takes me forever."

But she still went ahead and created a new blog. "People said, 'Use ChatGPT.' I replied, 'No, it's garbage,'" she recalls. "I tried a couple of cursory queries and got such ignorant, lackluster results that I dismissed the tool entirely."

Hunter researched and found she could combine ChatGPT and Grammarly to smooth the process. "More importantly, I start each piece of content with the part I'm best at," she says. For example, I interviewed a white hat gift card hacker for a piece about gift card hacking. In another post, she recorded a video of a gift card experience, And in another, she wrote a script to capture her thoughts. And then that's where AI steps in.

"After recording the video, I turn to ChatGPT and the Video Captions plugin to write the post. I still spend a couple of hours working on the message, going back and forth with the tools, and pushing until I get an authentic piece I am proud to put my name on," she explains. "The time it takes me to write a blog post may be the same, but I no longer struggle laboriously. The content and ideas are still mine, but I am less frustrated with the writing process and can better focus on communicating the message I want to share."

Note that ChatGPT plugins are currently available with a paid subscription to ChatGPT. ChatGPT has also recently introduced the ChatGPT Store, which is presently available with ChatGPT Plus, Team, and Enterprise users.

4. Creating chatbots

Another vote for Pickaxe comes from Vix Meldrew, who used it to create a "curriculum bot" for her courses and programs. She says, "I taught the bot the entire curriculum of my new program so that rather than students asking me questions the program answers, they can ask the bot! That will save me time answering questions already answered in the course materials and save me outsourcing community management. My students can ask questions about the curriculum, billing, and account inquiries."

5. Meeting notetaking

Karen Carey uses AI as a virtual assistant for meetings. Carey states, "Fireflies.ai is a virtual notetaker attending all my virtual meetings. In addition to taking very detailed notes, Fireflies categorizes and calculates the number of questions asked, the number of tasks discussed/assigned, the number of dates mentioned, and categorizes the content of the meeting for ease of review. Additionally, it breaks down sound bites of what it considers notable quotes (and) sayings."

6. Content repurposing

Dianne Shelton loves WritePanda for content repurposing. "This tool allows me to repurpose my long-form video content into multiple types of short-form content easily," she says. "It can create short videos (reels), blog posts, newsletters, tweet-worthy highlights, and more. It also allows me to automatically create time stamps and notes for my business podcast and YouTube channel."

Her favorite feature is auto-caption for the AI-generated reels. She says, "These captions are customizable and allow me to stand out in the saturated online space. A bonus feature is the face-tracking capability to create reels based on the speakers on the long-form video. Unlike other AI repurposing tools, this one seems to have some pretty powerful tools under one roof."

Shelton also finds the Cheat Layer to be useful for automating time-consuming tasks. "It's a no-code automation tool that allows me to have an AI assistant do certain repeatable tasks that would otherwise take more of my time or have to hire out a team member for," she says. "This tool is complex and flexible to meet each user's needs. I've only begun to scratch the surface by having simple tasks, such as automatically creating Canva images based on keywords (which it can research) and auto posting Facebook posts."

7. Video repurposing

Katie Goebel recommends OpusClip, which repurposes long video clips into short ones across multiple platforms.

"As a social media strategist, I love using OpusClip for my clients' video interviews," she says. "Within minutes, I can load a video interview link from YouTube or Vimeo and generate 10-plus short viral clips. The AI technology sweeps through the content quickly to find clips with high viral potential. Plus, I love the way it generates captions automatically."

Goebel adds, "It saves me the time of tedious editing and combing through hours of footage to find good 60-second sound bytes. Plus, my clients can focus on creating a high-quality video interview once and then run it through OpusClip to generate nearly endless clips to repurpose across multiple platforms."

8. Scheduling

One of Kelsey Silver's favored AI tools is Motion. The cause why: "After attempting rattling close to each system accessible to solve this little struggle my brain, I even have among wanting to approach and hating agendas, I stumbled upon Motion. I can tell you I've never whipped out my credit card so fast.

"[It] syncs all my calendars, completely replaces Calendly booking links and makes sure everything fits in my preferred meeting times and eliminates blank page syndrome by scheduling my tasks in available windows based on the 49,283,409,283 different schedules I have—(okay, it's just three: personal 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., business 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. to 1 a.m., and special stuff 24/7)."

AI tools can help small businesses save valuable time

From calendars to creatives, these business owners show the myriad ways AI tools can be used to keep time. And, of course, in business, time is money.

Tracking your time will allow you to see where you're spending—and perhaps wasting—time. From there, you can identify your high-value activities and look for AI tools that will help you streamline less valuable ones.

Comments